Security is paramount when it comes to our customers hosting. Hackers are becoming more advanced in the way they obtain customers details, leaving you more vulnerable. Namesco are combating this by improving security on FTP access, by introducing an FTP Lock
Customers will now need to distinguish between 'Safe' and 'Unsafe' IP addresses
Here we will explain how you can restrict FTP access, preventing any unauthorised activity on your hosting space.
- Firstly login to your online control panel and access your FTP user details
- Change FTP Enabled? to Yes. By default the system will only allow FTP access from your current computer, updating Allowed IPs to the IP address of your computer. Any FTP connections from other computers will be locked out, set to Never allow, as default unless changed by you.
- You can use an alternative IP to make additional FTP connections by clicking on 'Add' and entering your new IP address. This will ensure that this IP address is not subjected to a time lock in addition to the default IP address
- If you do not wish to define an alternate IP addresses, you can allow FTP access to all Other IP's for a restricted period of time, 1 hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, 24 hours. Once this time has elapsed, every IP other than the default will be locked out of FTP
- Rather than adhering to the pre-defined time settings, you may wish to set a custom time/date by selecting Until. This will also subject to the lock once the specified time has elapsed.